Tuesday, February 21, 2006

How 'bout Jazz? You like Jazz? I like Jazz!

On my ride in the citay on Saturday night to meet Paul, I wound up discovering a big band/jazz program on WNYC. Big Band Sounds apparently airs every Saturday night at 8pm and I have to say, it was a lot of fun to hear Benny Goodman's "Life Goes to a Party" on the radio. I haven't listened to swing in awhile - when I've been in the mood for jazz lately, I've been wearing out my Dinah Washington (Dinah's "Backwater Blues" rendition is an all-time favorite) and Ernestine Anderson CDs.

Anyway, the last song I got to hear was the original version of "Stormy Weather" (yes, Ethel Waters sang the first version that became famous, but the first recorded version was performed by Harold Arlen, the co-writer of the song and it was really interesting to hear him sing it).

And yes, the title is from The Simpsons.

No comments:

Post a Comment