Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Who Knew A.O. Scott was a rap fan?

The Times’ A.O. Scott reviews 50 Cent’s new movie, Get Rich or Die Tryin’, which I incidentally have no interest in seeing, and actually shows some knowledge about rap music. I completely agree with this assessment: “As a rapper, 50 Cent has been an overachiever, selling boatloads of records in spite of his pedestrian skills. Lacking the verbal wit of a Jay-Z, the storytelling ability of a Biggie Smalls or the engaging personality of a Kanye West, he has gotten over through doggedness and a certain truculent charisma.”

I admit I enjoy “In Da Club” but I think that is the extent of 50’s talent. A.O. says the movie is okay, mostly because of the supporting cast and director Jim Sheridan, but that 50's acting abilities are, not surprisingly, as lacking as his rap skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment