Thursday, September 26, 2013

"Ice cream is exquisite. What a pity it isn't illegal."

I've come up with a list of things to do during my two week wait, goals if you will, to get me through the time.  It wasn't so hard waiting when we were just trying on our own, but since starting the IUIs, it's gotten tougher.  I can usually make it through the first week okay, but I start getting really impatient around the start of week 2, and then of course I either get depressed when my temperature starts dropping around 11dpiui, or I nearly jump out of my skin if it doesn't.  So this time I'm setting some goals.

1) Make Concord grape freezer jam

My CSA keeps giving me lots of delicious Concord grapes, but we keep not eating them.  They have seeds, and that makes eating them a little annoying.  I found a recipe for a freezer jam and I think I might do that so as not to waste them.  This activity has the benefit of being very time consuming as you have to remove all the damn skins from the grapes first.

2) Make something pumpkiny

I love pumpkins, and it's finally pumpkin season!  I haven't figured out what I'll make yet.  Muffins?  Bread?  I don't know.  Just not pie, as I will have to make a lot of pumpkin pies around Thanksgiving time.

3) Read two new books

I've done the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone reread and I think it's time I went back to my reading goal for the year.  To that end, I got Antigoddess by Kendare Blake and Looking for Alaska by John Green out from the library.  I know, I know - for someone who talks about John Green all the time, how have I not read Looking for Alaska?  It's a sin.  One I plan to rectify in the next two weeks.  The former book is by Kendare Blake who wrote Anna Dressed in Blood (and its sequel, Girl of Nightmares).  Most people I know don't care for horror, but if you do, Anna is pretty wonderful.  And it's not that scary.

4) Take Dad to chemo

Dad starts his new chemo protocol next week, so I will take him.  Rajeev has requested that I bring a cookie pie back from the suburbs.  I will definitely bring back some Taylor ham.

5) Buy new jeans

When I was a very thin teenager, my thighs did not rub together when I walked.  Now I'm older and my thighs produce plenty of friction as I walk around town.  As a result, my jeans tend to eventually develop holes in the inner thigh area.  Sigh.  I don't own many jeans that fit me anymore, and last week one of the few pairs that does fit me developed the aforementioned thigh hole.  God, that sounds so gross.  Sorry.  I need new jeans.  I hate shopping for jeans.

6) Work on Kate's baby shower

I realize working on a baby shower for a friend during the two week wait might seem a little masochistic.  But reading catering menus is kind of fun, and I think it's better to work on it now than if this cycle doesn't work.  Either way, this research needs to get done, so best to do it now as a way to take my mind off of things.

7) Make ice cream!

Kate got me a copy of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home, and it has so many amazing flavors, I can't wait to make some.  Jeni breaks the ice creams into seasons, so I have been focusing on the Fall selections.  How about some maple ice cream with salty buttered nuts?  Buckeye State ice cream (honeyed peanut ice cream with dark chocolate freckles)?  Dark chocolate peppermint?  Bourbon ice cream with toasted buttered pecans?  I guess I can't really have the bourbon one, but whatever!  Ice cream makes me so happy.

I realize this list is really food heavy!  Oh well.  Cooking is one of the primary ways I "meditate" for lack of a better word.  When I am anxious, down, grumpy - cooking takes it all away and allows me to only focus on the task at hand.  Plus, in this scenario, it has the added benefit of providing yummy things for me to eat - either as a celebration after a successful two week wait, or as a way to drown my sorrows if this cycle doesn't work.  Any additional suggestions for how I can pass this two week wait are much appreciated.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:13 PM

    Hi from ICLW.

    I love making ice cream! Well, I love making homemade stuff in general because there's something really satisfying about eating your own jam or ice cream or applesauce! Good luck to you and I hope you keep busy enough NOT to go crazy during your TWW. Crossing my fingers for a BFP for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rach! If I had known how awesome homemade ice cream was, I would have bought my ice cream maker years ago.

      Delete
  2. My parents have a concord grapevine in their back yard. Growing up I always thought they were SO GROSS! We never found a recipe we liked for them, but.. We didn't try hard either ;) If you make peanut butter chocolate ice cream, I uh. May show up on your door! YUM. Oh, and I nominated you for the Liebster award! Don't feel pressured to participate, but I wanted to let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could try to send you a care package with some homemade ice cream, but it would be soup by the time it got to you. Delicious soup, but not really the same thing.

      Thanks so much for the nomination!

      Delete
  3. Way to keep yourself busy! I love food heavy posts. I'm going to make this pumpkin soup this weekend http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pumpkin-and-Shrimp-Bisque-104123 I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *love* pumpkin soup - I can't wait to hear how that turns out, especially since it combines pumpkin with shrimp - two of my favorites!

      Delete
  4. Love the title of your blog! Good luck for the IUI .. Looks like you have lots to keep you busy in the meantime. Onestepatatime.co.za

    ReplyDelete