Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Everybody's got a little light under the sun

This, folks, is Philly's last week as a Jersey pretender. This weekend, he moves back to New York where he will live with lady friend Emily, while they await the completion of their fantabulous Brooklyn Heights apartment. When all is said and done, this will be their view. Purty, isn't it? I am, of course, very happy for him, as all friends are happy for each other when they are excited about the future. At the same time, I'm sad. Now I'll have to audition a whole new set of Yankee-hating, Mets-loving poker players to keep my life interesting. On the flip side, I'll probably drop five pounds from not eating so many burgers and drinking so much beer. So I've got that going for me.

Anyway, last week, in the continuation of Know Your Enemy: New Jersey, Phil and I went to the Gaslight Brewery in South Orange. Phil declared it "the best bar in New Jersey" (and bear in mind that he's probably been to about 5 bars in the entire state). It certainly is quite good, especially if you're a fan of beer. First off, Gaslight has cask-conditioned ale. I can't even begin to tell you what a challenge it's been to find that in the Jers, where the plebs just don't enjoy good beer. Anyway, we returned there again last night.

Gaslight has a nice bunch of its own brews, as well as "guest beers" like Fuller's and Lindeman. As for their own beers, I like the 1920s Lager, which is apparently a classic style of American lager from pre-prohibition. Phil really liked the black bear lager, which he had again last night. We both finished the night with some Lindeman Peche, which I think even non-beer fans would like because it's sweet.

Other enjoyable things about Gaslight - they play both Mets and Yankees, so if we get the corner of the bar, I can watch my boys and Phil can watch his. The juke box is also enjoyable, although I could do with a little less Bon Jovi (and a lot less Eagles.... god, I hate the Eagles).

In the meantime, I do believe that Phil has warmed a bit to New Jersey, even if we don't have a bar as cool as the Blind Tiger.... then again, Blind Tiger doesn't have $10 lobster on Mondays. If you're interested in reviewing our previous adventures, they are here, here, here and here. Tonight, Rajeev is coming out to New Jersey to experience Fuddrucker's with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment