Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Enemy to None

This morning, Marketplace Morning Report did a little piece on Benjamin Franklin, and reminded me that today is Benjy's 300th birthday. I love Benjamin Franklin and the piece on him was chock full of interesting facts about him. Marketplace reminded me that, aside from a scientist, patriot, and intellect, he was also a businessman. Franklin and Alexander Hamilton were the only two signers of the Declaration of Independence who were born poor. And by the age of 40, Franklin had made enough money in the printing business to retire and pursue his myriad of interests.

For more information on Ben, I recommend the Marketplace piece, or you can read about him in his wikipedia article right here. Trust me, I love Thomas Jefferson, but I really think Franklin deserves a monument in DC - he represents all that is great about the founding of our country.

"Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none. " --Ben Franklin

2 comments:

  1. Ben was also the first Public Printer of the United States. Yay Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND he discovered the gulf stream!

    ReplyDelete