Monday, April 11, 2005

Radio Death Match

Soooo, on Saturday I finally got to see HBO's documentary about Air America Radio, entitled Left of the Dial. Good stuff.

First for the dopey stuff. Mark Marin, who's the co-host of Morning Sedition, is totally my boyfriend, except that he's a bit crazy. Maybe more than a bit. Still, they showed some of his stand-up from before the launch of the station and I was laughing. I should look into seeing his stand-up. Also, Janeane Garofalo has a very sweet relationship with her Texas Republican dad. And her co-host Sam can be my boyfriend when Mark Marin gets too crazy for me, which would be about 5 minutes into the relationship. Anyway, here's Janeane and Sam's blog: http://www.majorityreportradio.com/weblog/

In all seriousness, I thought the doc was good. I think the point that talk radio is completely dominated by conservatives was well made and clearly, duh. So these investors get together and want to change that. Good for them. And thanks. It's nice for me to be able to take a little break from NPR every now and again. And those of you who know me know that I listened to Air America religiously from June till Election Day. Of course, it was really interesting to see how a radio station with so many listeners couldn't afford to pay anyone and was on the brink of collapse on a day-to-day basis.

And I'll say it again - Randi Rhodes may not be your cup of tea, but I'm glad she's there. She is the left's answer to Sean Hannity and Rush and Bill O'Reilly. Why shouldn't the left have someone who yells at people and tells Ralph Nader that she's pissed at him and tells her callers that they're "crazy" when they say stuff like "Theresa Heinz is a Hamas supporter." Good for her. And for us.

It's on again on HBO 2 on April 20th at 9:30pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment