Thursday, June 16, 2005

I Just Want Your Extra Time....

Because the Sturminator can't get enough of me and she totally misses New Jersey and wishes she lived here, she too has a blog now. Laur watched Dancing last night as well, and reminded me of another great reality TV show - Project Runway! Oh, how I cannot wait for season 2 of that! Anyone know when that'll start? I should look into that. Rumor has it that it'll return in the fall. Le sigh. So long.

I've had complaints about my "lack" of posts this week. I'd like to point out that I haven't missed a day yet! And also, it's my boss's fault. He keeps making me do work. Like, god, you mean I actually have to do stuff around here to get paid? Lame.

On an end note, I wanted you all to know that I have finally learned the lyrics to the stupid Thomas the Tank Engine song that my nephew always wants me to sing. It goes "Thomas the Tank Engine, rolling along/doo doo doo doo (no seriously, that's how it goes)/Thomas and friends will be rolling along/doo doo doo doo/ Thomas we love you, Thomas we love you." That's it. Seriously.

This reminded me of my childhood - when I was young, and particularly when my sister or I had friends over for dinner, my parents would break into song at the dining room table. Typically it would be opera - Tosca or Aida or something along those lines because my folks love opera, they really do know the words, and they liked to embarass us kids. As my parents have aged, they have mellowed on embarassing us. There has subsequently been a role reversal. My sister will frequently say to me, while we are out to dinner, "Guess what I heard the other day? 'You don't have to be rich, to be my girl,'" and then I'll jump in with "You don't have to be cool to rule my world." Together (and usually, I start dancing in my seat while belting this out) "Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with, I just want your extra time and your.... DOO DA DOO DOO DOO Kiss." My parents will mutter "So embarassing." And Connor will laugh and clap his hands because he's too young to find this humiliating.

I sing all the time to my parents now - usually Gilbert & Sullivan, but last night I changed the words of "The Rain in Spain" from My Fair Lady to "The Train in Spain" in honor of my nephew. He liked it. I'm grateful to my parents for mortifying me in my youth so that I'm rarely embarassed as an adult. And frankly, I suspect I'll keep singing with my sister when she hears an 80's song that reminds her of when we were young ones, even when my nephew is old enough to sink low in his chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment