Thursday, June 23, 2005

Quick, Elaine, to my archives.

Mr. Peterman: I'm afraid it's your urine, Elaine. You've tested positive for opium.
Elaine: Opium?
Mr. Peterman: That's right. White Lotus. Yam-yam. Shanghai Sally.

Last night on Dancing With the Stars, the four remaining couples danced the samba. And shocker of shockers, Rachel Hunter got the boot at the end of the night! She's been one of the consistently well-judged dancers, which isn't surprising. She has a lot of grace and she just looks like she would dance well. And she does. But after combining the judges' scores with the audience score, Rach got the boot. Probably had something to do with her crankypants attitude in the interviews. I kind of felt badly - she's much better than Joey McIntyre, but he's quite a bit more likeable. And she teared up when she lost, thus redeeming herself. But it was too late.

So, now it's down to three couples. I'm still pulling for O'Hurley (and no, not just because I love Seinfeld). I do think he has it tougher because he gets compared to the professional males. And he's doing a great job. But I have got to give it up for Kelly Monaco - talk about improved! Girl can samba! It was particularly amusing in the pre-dance interview when she decided to take ballet in order to make herself more graceful, and likened herself to an oompa-loompa. While Kelly is very petite and skinny, it's hard to imagine her roly-poling around like an oompa-loompa. Still, there's something to it when you see her falling over after a spin. Anyway, good for her. I really thought she and her partner were the best of the night in the samba - and Kelly finally stopped looking like she was concentrating so hard. During the group Viennese waltz, O'Hurley shined again.

I do wish that host, whose name I can't remember, would stop interrupting people when they talk. It's annoying. And would it kill the show to play appropriate music? There's something very silly about a samba set to "Just the Two of Us," and a Viennese waltz set to "I've Got You, Babe." Lame.

I guess Joey McIntyre's large Boston Irish family is voting for their boy, although I did think he was much better at the samba than the jive. And as one judge pointed out, Joey has finally mastered the appropriate dance position - head up, shoulders back, perfect posture. Still, everytime I see Joey, I think of the Saturday Night Live sketch spoofing the New Kids on the Block. Funny stuff.

Speaking of reminders, this show, and my man Mr. Peterman, remind me of Seinfeld. My sister and I used to watch it together every week, and seeing Peterman reminds me of those days, where we would laugh hysterically about Kramer and the beano, and Kramer and the pig man, and Kramer and the fusilli Jerry.... oh, good times. I miss that.

So, next week they'll be doing the foxtrot and paso doble. Anyone who has seen Strictly Ballroom will remember the paso doble. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment