Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I'd win every time, if it weren't for luck

So said Phil Hellmuth last year, when he lost at the World Series of Poker. I greatly dislike Hellmuth. He really does believe, though, that he's the greatest and he'd win everytime if it weren't for luck.

The World Series of Poker started on June 3rd with the $1500 No-Limit Texas Hold 'Em championship. The main event will conclude on July 15th. For the first time ever, the series will be at the Rio, instead of Binion's Horseshoe.

ESPN should be covering it soon, although I have yet to figure out when they'll be airing it. There's a chart, where they are laying out air dates... but I feel like they must be wrong because why are they waiting till the end of August, when they said they'd be covering it in June. Effing ESPN. I want my summer poker! Are they going to make me wait till July 19th for the circuit?Last year they would have on a nice Tuesday block from 9-11pm. It was the only bright spot in my miserable bar-studying experience last summer.

Well, when it finally makes its way back onto the air, I'll let you know. Oh, and do make sure you catch the ladies tournament this year - it's fascinating to see how different the play is from the regular tournament, which has a mix of men and women, but is mostly comprised of men.

Of course, what makes ESPN's coverage so great, aside from just the cards, is getting to watch these characters play - Daniel Negreanu, Chris "Jesus" Ferguson, Hellmuth, Howard Lederer, Chris Moneymaker, Joe Cassidy, Doyle Brunson, Annie Duke, and all the uppity internet poker kids. Lord, how I hope Doyle Brunson smacks down those cocky bastards again.

No comments:

Post a Comment