Tuesday, May 03, 2005

But will they get a real tiger to play Richard Parker?

So like, you guys? I have so much work to do today! I shall try my best to take breaks and post, as I still haven't finished all my comments from the weekend, but bear in mind that the Halls of Justice waits for no man. Or me.

But I couldn't let the morning pass without this bit of movie news!

I am an avid reader, and sadly, in recent years, I haven't read that many books which really moved/impressed me. A notable exception is Life of Pi by Yann Martel. If I haven't already pressed a copy of it into your hand, consider yourself warned and now you know what you're getting next Arbor Day. If you don't know the story, basically a sixteen-year-old Indian boy finds himself in a life raft in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with an orangutan, a hyena, an injured zebra and a Bengal tiger (named Richard Parker).

In late 2003, it was announced that M. Night Shyamalan of Sixth Sense and Signs fame was going to write and direct the movie version of Pi. I had mixed emotions. On the one hand, Shyamalan apparently was born in Pondicherry, India, where the first third of the book takes place. And I thought it would be interesting to see what he did with material that he had not originally written, and the themes of Pi are very similar to themes that Shyamalan likes to explore. On the other hand, I could see him really effing it up, and I can't explain why without giving away key stuff about the book.

Now, apparently, Shyamalan is off the project and Alfonso Cuaron will direct. To this, I say, "Hooray!" I like Cuaron and I think he knows a lot more about adapting source material (see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban). But apparently, it's not entirely done deal yet, so I'm going to try and not get too excited. Read about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment