Monday, May 02, 2005

I read the Times, so you don't have to

Yesterday I co-opted my parents Sunday Times and found out all sorts of interesting stuff for you. I hope you're happy.

First off, remember when I wrote about the Tribeca Grand Hotel and that Annie character from Norway? Well, the Times profiled her. Sure, sure, they're always slow to hop on the bandwagon, but considering that I wouldn't have a clue who she (or the majority of hipster beloved musicians) was without Philly, I won't make fun of the Times for their pokiness.

The best part of the Sunday Times, though (besides Frank Rich's op-ed about South Park) was the summer guide to music festivals around the country. Oh, and they also had theater festivals too. Which is where I learned that Delacorte Theater (home of Shakespeare in the Park) is celebrating its 50th anniversary by putting on 2 productions - As You Like It from June 25-July 17 and A Midsummer Night's Dream from August 9-September 4. This means I will have to take 2 days off from work this summer to catch both. If you're interested, let me know and I'll snag you a ticket while I'm standing in the hot and sticky line.

In the music festival department, NPR is always blathering about the River to River Festival in lower Manhattan.

And I must mention, as the Times, as usual, decided to shit all over her dirty step-sister New Jersey and ignored the NJPac Absolut Sounds of the City festival in Newark. I went there a couple of times a few summers ago and it was fun. The lineup hasn't been announced yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

Also of interest, the JVC Jazz Festival from June 14-25 will pay tribute to Mahwah's own Les Paul, as well as my man Dave Brubeck and a whole bunch of other worthy people. Also in the jazz department, Lincoln Center will have its Midsummer Night Swing series (June 15-July 16), which I've been to (stop laughing, Phil) and certainly recommend. In the classical department, Lincoln Center also hosts the Mostly Mozart series - this year they will be focusing on Mozart's travels throughout Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment