Friday, May 20, 2005

News and Notes

Here's some miscellany for a Friday afternoon.

Kate called yesterday to tell me that she's seen the new Star Wars movie, and she generally enjoyed it. Apparently CGI Yoda looks a lot better this time around. And while Kate says she'd probably be disappointed no matter what, she was the least disappointed with this installment in the new trilogy. Her work buddy (and my Deadwood e-mail pal) Matt also saw it yesterday and he said it was much better than the last two, in fact, he'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Tonight is the start of the weekend Subway series at Shea Stadium. Needless to say, in a few hours Phil and I will cease speaking to each other. He's got tickets for tonight's game. I'd be jealous if I weren't overly stuffed with soybeans and craving a nap. Lupica addresses the fact that Willie Randolph (the Mets manager, and former third base coach for the Yanks) will be facing his old buddies this weekend. Go Yankees!

My New York Times boyfriend, Nicholas Kristof, had a great op-ed a few days ago about liberal bible thumping - he writes "Liberals can and should confront Bible-thumping preachers on their own terms, for the scriptural emphasis on justice and compassion gives the left plenty of ammunition. After all, the Bible depicts Jesus as healing lepers, not slashing Medicaid. " Too true.

Tomorrow is the Preakness Stakes, round two in the Triple Crown. I'm not betting, but I don't think Giacamo is going to pull it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment